The funeral Home business dates back to 1846 when it was opened by a local Funeral director Isaac Mead, he open the business under the name of Isaac Mead Funeral Service. After a 20 year partnership, Isaac mead looking to retire and turned to his business partner Fred D. Knapp and sold the Business to him and his son Fred H. Knapp. In 1906 the father and son duo built the building the business currently resides in at 267 Greenwich Avenue in the heart of historic downtown Greenwich, Connecticut. Fred H. Knapp unfortunately predeceased his father in1936 and his son J. Edward “Bud” Knapp. Fred D. Knapp passed away in 1948 leaving J. Edward in charge of the family business. With World War II looming J. Edward grew leery that he would be drafted, took on a partner, Local Greenwich resident Richard “Dick” Slagle, who ironically, was later drafted. Together the partners ran Fred D. Knapp Funeral Home until 1992 when Richard grew ill and sold his shares of the company to Matthew K. Murphy. Matthew and J. Edward ran the company as unequal partners until J. Edward’s death in 1997, when Matthew was able to gain complete ownership of the business.