The Genda Funeral Home is located on the north end of Main St. and was started in the 1940’s by L.E. Moore as a branch funeral home from his Rossville location. When L.E. Moore finished his funeral service career to the Clinton County families,...
Funeral Homes in Colfax, IN
In 1968, Charles and Sandy Burkhart made arrangements to purchase Bright Funeral Home in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Their two sons, Carl and Craig, were born in 1970 and 1973. Both grew up living at the funeral home and currently operate the...
Established in 1865, Soller-Baker Funeral Homes has become one of northern Indiana's oldest businesses. Founded by John Soller as the Cabinet Makers Union at 222 Main Street, the firm later became Soller-Seeger Co., then changed to...
Matthews Mortuary has provided funeral service to the community for over 64 years. The mortuary began in the community in August 1946 and held its formal opening Sept. 15, 1946, with a public open house. The mortuary was founded by Roy Jones,...
Nearby Funeral Homes for Colfax
Frankfort, IN 46041
Camden, IN 46917
Pittsboro, IN 46167
Wingate, IN 47994
Lafayette, IN 47901
Linden, IN 47955
Lafayette, IN 47904
Sheridan, IN 46069
Waveland, IN 47989
Brownsburg, IN 46112
Hillsboro, IN 47949
Lebanon, IN 46052
Crawfordsville, IN 47938
Flora, IN 46929
Lafayette, IN 47903
Thorntown, IN 46071
Facts about Colfax, Indiana
Colfax is a town in Perry Township, Clinton County, Indiana, United States. The population was 691 at the 2010 census. The town was originally known as Midway since it was a half-way point on the IC&L Railroad between Lafayette and Indianapolis; it was later renamed to honor Vice President Schuyler Colfax.
It was disclosed on October 20th, 2013 that Marybelle Rowley (Haslet) died in Colfax, Indiana. Ms. Rowley was 91 years old. Send flowers to express your sorrow and honor Marybelle's life.
An incorporation election held December 25, 1869, resulted in 24 yeas and 1 no. The town had 187 residents in 1870, but with the construction of the Vandalia road through town in 1870-71 it grew quickly and by 1880 had a population of 638. . The town was originally known as Midway since it was a half-way point on the Indianapolis, Cincinnati and Lafayette Railroad Railroad between Lafayette, Indiana and Indianapolis, Indiana it was later renamed to honor Vice President Schuyler Colfax.
Colfax was laid out in 1849 by Montgomery Stroud and originally named Midway for its position between Indianapolis, Indiana and Lafayette, Indiana along the Lafayette railroad. In 1853 the town gained a post office named Colfax, and in December 1857 the name of the town itself became Colfax, by petition of the residents. By 1861 the town had two churches, two general stores, a hotel, a saw mill and approximately 200 residents.
Colfax Funeral Home News
There is no news for this location at this time.