We pledge to serve you, as we should want to be served ourselves; We accept our responsibility as a Sacred Trust; To respect all Religious & Veterans rites and honor individual requests; Provide experienced guidance with professional counseling...
Funeral Homes in South Britain, CT
The Adzima Funeral Home, which was established on the east side of Bridgeport in 1914 and family run for four generations, is located in the center of the picturesque Paradise Green section of Stratford. The establishment has been situated on the...
The Abraham L. Green and Son Funeral Home is an independently owned family operated chapel serving the Greater Fairfield County Jewish Community since 1948. Now in its 2nd generation, our modern facility is conveniently located in Fairfield center.
Since 1939 the Collins family has served families of Montgomery County and greater Washington with dignified professional service in their time of need. We continue the same family tradition today at our funeral home located just off the beltway...
Nearby Funeral Homes for South Britain
Fairfield, CT 06824
Stratford, CT 06699
Trumbull, CT 06611
Stratford, CT 06497
Norwalk, CT 06852
Bridgeport, CT 06607
Bethel, CT 06801
Wilton, CT 06829
Bridgeport, CT 06608
Brookfield, CT 06804
Mahopac, NY 10541
Bridgeport, CT 06602
Norwalk, CT 06856
Bridgeport, CT 06606
Danbury, CT 06813
Danbury, CT 06810
Trumbull, CT 06611
Bridgeport, CT 06610
Dover Plains, NY 12522
Katonah, NY 10536
Hopewell Jct, NY 12533
Facts about South Britain, Connecticut
The South Britain Historic District in Southbury, Connecticut, USA, is a historic district that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. It represents the central portion of South Britain, an unincorporated village. The district is bordered by the Pomperaug River on the west. Water-powered mills, supplied by water from a South Britain Water Power Company reservoir, were the impetus for early development.The village rivalled nearby Southbury Center. It was seat of Southbury, Connecticut town government until 1964.In 1987, the district included 46 contributing structures and 22 non-contributing ones.Contributing properties in the district include:B.C. Bradley House, 497 South Britain Road, from 1802 or earlier by assessor records, with cottage and shed of similar ageH. Curtis House, 584-586 South Britain Road, of Colonial era, probably the oldest house in the district.Miss H. E. and S. E. Canfield House, 524 South Britain Road, a Georgian style twin-chimney central-hall house \"with Adamesque detail in its portico and cornice\" from 1802 or earlier (see accompanying photo 2)George Smith House, 605 South Britain Road, a Greek Revival house, c. 1835, with cabin and garage from mid 1900sMrs. S. Curtis House, 657 South Britain Road, a brick Greek Revival with granite dressing, from 1770 by assessor recordsMrs. B. Chatfield House, 24 Hawkins Road, a brick Greek Revival, from 1850 (see photo 12)Congregational Church, 683 South Britain Road, from 1825. Federal style with later Gothic window. (See photo 15)Methodist Church, \"an austere example of the Greek Revival style\", from 1832, in deteriorated condition in 1986. (See photos 15 and 18)Town Hall, an 1873-built Italianate style building (see photo 10)Also included in the district is a steel-span bridge from 1939.
South Britain Obituaries
There are no obituaries in our database for this location.
Southbury is a New England town located in western New Haven County, Connecticut Haven County, Connecticut, United States north of Oxford, Connecticut and Newtown, Connecticut and east of Brookfield, Connecticut The population was 18,567 at the 2000 United States Census census.
The town of Southbury was one of several towns formed out of a parcel of land purchased from the Paugussett Indians in 1659. Although incorporated as part of Litchfield County, Southbury has been in New Haven county for most of its existence. Southbury remained as a rural farming town for most of its history. With the opening of I-84 through Southbury in or before 1963, Southbury gained easy access to New York and Hartford and improved its access to Danbury and Waterbury. As the industrial revolution progressed, many of these businesses left for Waterbury, Connecticut In the 1920s, Russian expatriates Count Ilia Tolstoy, son of author Leo Tolstoy, and George Grebentschikoff founded an artists' colony at the end of Main Street, known as Churaevka (or Russian Village).
South Britain Funeral Home News
There is no news for this location at this time.