Arehart-Echols Funeral Home, P.A. is a family owned and operated funeral service located conveniently in downtown La Plata serving all of Charles County and surrounding areas for 5 generations that is dedicated to helping families of all...
Funeral Homes in Ironsides, MD
Below you fill find all funeral homes and cemeteries in or near Ironsides.
Zip codes in the city: 20643.
Charles County funeral flowers can be purchased from one of the local funeral shops we partner with.
We are a family owned, full service, independent operated funeral home located in King George and Warsaw Virginia. The Lee family has served the Northern Neck Area for over 52 years. Eugene W. Lee began the family mortuary business in 1952 with...
Pope Funeral Homes was established in 1920 by the late Alexander S. Pope, Sr. Our first location was at 315 15th Street S.E. Washington D.C. Mr. Pope, Sr. was a licensed professional from the former Echols Mortuary College in Philadelphia. Mr....
In a day when large funeral home conglomerates are everywhere, Found and Sons Funeral Chapels & Cremation Service remain family-owned and operated. When you call or visit our homes, you will find a full staff of caring professionals providing...
Everly Funeral Homes have been helping families for more than 150 years. We take great pride in serving the families of our community. The reputation of the Everly firms is well-known throughout Northern Virginia, and the Everly family and staff...
Nearby Funeral Homes for Ironsides
Triangle, VA 22172
Aquasco, MD 20608
Forestville, MD 20747
La Plata, MD 20646
Arlington, VA 22203
Washington, DC 20421
Alexandria, VA 22314
Falls Church, VA 22044
Oxon Hill, MD 20745
King George, VA 22485
Clinton, MD 20762
Falls Church, VA 22046
King George, VA 22485
Colonial Beach, VA 22443
Washington, DC 20002
Falls Church, VA 22042
Alexandria, VA 22307
District Heights, MD 20747
Fredericksburg, VA 22406
Indian Head, MD 20640
Indian Head, MD 20640
Facts about Ironsides, Maryland
Ironsides is an unincorporated community or \"post village\" in Charles County, Maryland, United States with zip code 20643. The Post Office was established in 1897 and remained open until at least 1976. Today Ironsides area residents have Indian Head or Nanjemoy addresses. The nearby historic post offices of Nanjemoy and Doncaster, dating from 1800 and 1855, are often associated with historical records of Ironsides. The elevation is 126 feet (38 m). The origin of the name of the town is unclear; it's either a reference to the Frigate USS Constitution, known as \"Old Ironsides\", or to iron siding on a house renovated there in 1886. Nearby, Old Durham Church (est. 1692) is a local landmark; originally a log structure, it was replaced with brick in 1732 and renovated in 1791. Revolutionary War General William Smallwood and colonial Governor William Stone are buried there. Smallwood was elected vestryman at Old Durham Church in 1788, and built a road from his home at Mattawoman Plantation in modern Rison, to the church. \"Smallwood Church Road\" today is a paved two-lane road running from Rison to Ironsides. During the colonial period, the Ironsides area was divided up into small farms with colorful names: Ward's Delight, Ward's Addition, Wards Trouble, Ingerthorpe/ Ingerstone/ Angerstone/ Ingolthorpe (variously spelt), Charlestowne, Ragged Chance, Randolphs Addition, Senas Delight, Dembar Addition, the Land Resurveyed, Franklins Beginning, Expectation, and Moles Adventure.The most prominent public buildings in Ironsides today are the tiny Ironsides Store, the Ironsides Volunteer Rescue Squad Company 58, and the historical Church of the Lord Jesus Christ. In 1966 the Ironsides Rescue Squad Inc. was declared by the State of Maryland to be in forfeiture for payment of taxes or filing an annual report. The town is at the crossroads of Maryland Route 6 (Port Tobacco Road) and Maryland Route 425. Route 425 is called Ironsides Road south of Ironsides, and Mason Springs Road to the north. This latter section of road, running to Pisgah, was known as the \"Johnnie Cake Road\" in 1918. The concrete arch bridge on Route 6 over nearby Wards Run was built in 1929 and rehabilitated in 1987. The town is along Maryland Scenic Byways Number 16, the Religious Freedom Byway, on the way to Durham Church. The Charles County Genealogical Society Cemetery Transcription Project has inventoried the Gray family cemetery at Mansion Hall in Ironsides, which is a ruin dating from 1700 at a site called \"The Mistake\", which consisted of 227 acres (0.92 km2) in 1732.In 1914, a wealthy retired stockbroker, Thomas W. Poole, made the news when he committed suicide at his estate in Ironsides.In 1948, Maryland became the twentv-first state to join the \"American Tree Farm\" movement, with the dedication of a 1,278-acre tract of forest owned by the Glatfelter Pulpwood Company, still a major landholder in the Ironsides area.In 1953, a 27-year-old volcanologist who grew up in Ironsides, Dr. Rolf Werner Juhle, vanished in the \"Valley of 10,000 Smokes\", Katmai National Monument, Alaska. His body was never found. His family owned a tobacco and cattle farm in Ironsides.
Ironsides is an unincorporated area community in Charles County, Maryland County, Maryland, United States. . . . .
Ironsides Funeral Home News
There is no news for this location at this time.