In 1937 Francis and Alice Lockwood purchased the residence at 301 East Michigan Ave. and converted it to a funeral home. At that time most funeral services were conducted at the family's home or the family's Church. The first level of the funeral home was used as the Lockwood's residence and when needed, as a funeral home. In September of 1951 they remodeled, adding the front pillars, the chapel to the west, and a two car garage to the rear. The Lockwoods moved to the upstairs apartment to allow the main level to be used solely as a funeral home. In February of 1961 they offered Mildred and Gerald Bahnmiller the opportunity to purchase but not to take ownership until July 1, 1961, which they did. At that time the population of Saline was about 2200. Approximately 40 to 48 funerals were conducted each year. After more than 23 years as a funeral director, Mr. Bahnmiller decided to retire and sold the business to its current owner Jim Robison. Jim, together with his wife Alison, assumed responsibilities on January 1, 1984. They too lived in the apartment above the funeral home with their son Stephen and daughter Emily, which allowed them to be closer to the business as a family. Jim decided to keep the name "Bahnmiller" affiliated with the business because Gerry had been such a positive influence in the community and with Jim personally.
Today, Jim Robison continues as owner and director, along with his son Stephen, who graduated from Saline High School in 1997, and Wayne State School of Mortuary Science in 2008. Stephen will assume responsibility of the funeral home in the future making it a second-generation establishment. Other employees include Larry Griffin of Livonia, Jim Datson of Saline, Bob Comfort of Saline, Doug Elfring of Saline, and Chris Werth of Milan.
In late 2016, improvements were made in every aspect of the funeral home's building and surrounding property, in order to better meet the needs of all who need our services. Father and son directors, Jim and Steve Robison, worked closely with local contractors and craftsmen to make significant changes, which included expanded chapel and gathering spaces, expanded and conveniently located restrooms, outdoor patio area for relaxing and eating, Barrier Free public areas, expanded and well-lit parking with improved traffic flow, Barrier Free entrance – moved from Michigan Ave to Davenport St, directly across from new parking lots, accommodations in foyer for wheelchair guests, furnished guest lounge for relaxing, eating, food preparation, play area for children, expanded meeting room to accommodate family meetings, professional audio/video system throughout public areas for memorial tributes, music, photo displays, and those speaking during services, more convenient casket, vault, and memorial selection area, and all new utilities as well as extensive infrastructure improvements.